My candidacy is about you and policies that support the middle class, secure our environment, support education, lead to affordable health care for all, assure job growth and a vibrant economy, curb the excesses of big banks, and ensure big business and the 1% pay their fair share.
In contrast my opponent, Republican Greg Walden, voted for the Ryan budget with its cuts to Medicare and Social Security, increasing tax burdens for the middle class and decreasing taxes for the wealthiest. And recently, Pete Sessions endorsed Walden to succeed him as Chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee. The 2nd District deserves better. Clearly, Congressman Walden is out of touch with his District; and, with this promotion, his votes belong to his party.
The Segers for Congress 2012 campaign is a true grassroots campaign. We are not taking special interest money and are limiting individual donations to $500 per person. This is in stark contrast to my opponent whose more than 2 million dollar campaign war chest is funded by special interests and out of state big money contributors.
I strongly believe as citizens of our great democracy we must inform ourselves and vote in our state’s and our country’s best interest. In the case of my opponent’s ties to big money and his now far right “tea party” voting record, it’s clear his political goals do not reflect those of the citizens of the 2nd District.
I am a lifelong Democrat, a progressive who believes in protecting the rights and the welfare for the common good. I have been a small business owner; I’m the widow of a Korean War veteran and the proud mother of an Air Force veteran.
My vision of a healthy economy and a fulfilling future for our country is this:
- everyone gets a fair shake;
- everyone has a shot at the American Dream;
- every generation has the chance to advance over the last;
- hard work and savings are rewarded;
- seniors receive the economic security and adequate medical care they deserve;
- students get a world class education;
- affordable quality health care is available for all; and finally,
- everyone pays their fair share.
I believe this is all possible, must be achieved, and a win/lose mentality must give way to the highest American ideals of caring for and investing in our fellow citizens.
If you agree with me, want your American ideals represented and our country returned to its tradition of service to and for its citizens, join me by making this your campaign. Here is how you can do so:
- Go to www.SegersForCongress.org to become more familiar with the campaign;
- Donate - every donation regardless of size is important. Our need is $25,000 by 10/10/12;
- Go to my Facebook page, Like us and follow the campaign;
- Follow us on Twitter - @JoyceSegers2012;
- Host a gathering of friends, neighbors, business associates. Contact Kathleen Heritage at (541) 582-6100 or houseparty@segersforcongress.
- Volunteer to canvass your neighborhood or phone bank to get out the vote;
- Send an endorsement letter to the editor of your local newspaper;
- Sign up for e-mail campaign updates;
- Forward this e-mail to friends, family and other contacts that share your values and want to make a difference.
Together we can turn the tide and rescue our country from the extremes of the far right and overcome the dominance of the 1%.
Putting Citizens First,
Joyce Segers, your Democratic candidate for Oregon’s 2nd U.S. Congressional District